Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Newfie food: Seal flipper pie + Turr

I have finally done it. I've eaten seal. Even though I find seals quite adorable and entertaining to watch, my adventurous side could not resist an opportunity that was given to me to taste test it. Thanks Connie and Colleen!

It is like any other meat pie: minced meat and vegetables, covered with a pastry top

 And the verdict? I was forewarn that seal had a strong fishy smell and taste, and that many people can't stand it. I was able to eat it, because it was really in essence a meat pie, but I can't say I would seek it out. I'm usually not picky about fishy smelling foods since I quite adore sushi, including sashimi, the raw fish morcel, and I love Chinese lacquered duck. I was surprised I did not take to a liking of seal. Seal was just a bit too fishy smelling for me, more fishy smelling than raw fish, if that in any way is logically possible.




I also tried roasted "turr" which is the Newfoundland word for the common murre an ocean bird. This bird is hunted and cannot be bought in stores. It is just like eating a chicken, but dark meat, or just like a duck, but leaner, with the only difference being the meat is fishy smelling. The entire time I was eating it, I was really confused, because I was expecting something like a chicken, but kept smelling fish.

Common Murre

No comments:

Post a Comment