Tuesday, August 27, 2013

"White" water rafting in Newfoundland

 
Grant "white" water rafting

For my last long week-end in Newfoundland, the May "2-4" week-end, I decided to join some of my friends on a kayaking retreat to learn more about the marvels of sea kayaking. Little did I know what the weather had in store for us that May week-end.

 
The boys in the trunk with their Go-Pro extreme sport cameras on their helmets filming the action.
 

 
Day 1 of the retreat week-end... a normal long week-end at Terra Nova Park


 
Day 2 of the week-end: it looked like we went back in time by a good 4-5 months after getting dumped with 15 cm of snow!

 
Even the snowman was psyched for kayaking

 
 
Though we couldn't go out on water the second day, we still had some interesting workshops on learning how to build and customize your own kayak and paddles.
 
Chris giving a presentation on building a Greenland style paddle. These paddles supposedly work as well as a recreational paddle, but are even better, because they put less strain on the back and shoulders.

 
Beautiful handmade kayaks! People are so talented!
I'm a city girl, so I really just know how to buy things.

 
Photos from day one out on water

 
Taking a snack break

 
Me outfitted by my wonderful caring kayaking community from Newfoundland central. I remind myself slightly of an astronaut- super protected in gear- dry top, wetsuit, neoprene booties and kayak spray skirt.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment