Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Biking in Springdale

I have to say a big thank you to the following people that helped make sure I would have my bike up and running smoothly when I  arrived:

1) Mom for taking the time to cut out pieces of cardboard to give my wheels some protection,
2) Bri for using his metal work skills and making me a pair of super light weight spacers for my wheel skewers to make sure the front fork and chain stay did not collapse, and for letting me take his pedal wrench,
3) Liann for giving me many useful shipping tips such as put lightweight but high volume items ie. puffy sleeping bag, along with the bike for shipping to act cushioning and to save space in my suitcase; and to let the air out of the tires before shipping,
4) Dad for letting the air out of the tires, because I had forgotten.  

I was pleased to discover that a few of my colleagues are also fans of biking and are part of a women's biking group here in the region, so in no time I have found myself a little biking community. Most of the women have an upright hybrid bike. I am the only other rider with a road bike. The other road rider has a full carbon bike. On my first ride with them, they took me on a 30km tour of the region. The ride was easy, flat, an opportunity to chat and socialize and we even saw three eagles!

The Indian River crossing through the edge of Springdale.

No comments:

Post a Comment