Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Knowing someone touched by cancer

Cancer. I am starting to know people around me who are or have been touch by it; however I was not prepared to learn the number of people around me here in Springdale, NL who have been touched by cancer.

Team "Sow the Seeds of Hope". 
Last Saturday, I was at the Cancer Society Relay for life in Kingspoint to support some of my colleagues participating in the 8h walk-a-thon. There, I learned that two of my colleagues are cancer survivors, one preparing for another treatment (around five or so years my senior), and a handful more colleagues have lost family and friends, or know someone fighting, recovering and beating cancer. I knew that at the Relay I would be meeting people who care deeply about the fight against cancer, but what I did not expect was to see so many people I worked with battling cancer, or know someone immediately touched by cancer. 

With a population of around an estimate of 5,000 in the Springdale and surrounding area, the prevalence of cancer seems more than what I would expect for such a small population. Back in May 2012, CBC had already reported that Newfoundland and Labrador have more recorded cases of cancer (new cases as opposed to relapse cases) than most other Canadian provinces. The article did not reveal much about the possible factors contributing to the higher noted prevalence other than hinting that it could be related to the higher rates of obesity, smoking, and possible genetic disposition for cancer in the province. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/05/09/nl-cancer-rates-509.html)

In the past I have contributed when and where I could to the cause fighting cancer, including donating my hair for the third time just last month, but all of that was really an act of charity more than an act of genuine compassion. I had never sat down and listened or asked someone about their story for fear of prying too much, or accidentally saying something insensitive. That night at the Relay for the first time, I got to hear stories first hand and to my surprise, people were not shy about their stories as I had expected, but in fact, they really wanted to share with others their journey of fear, pain, struggle, weariness, and determination and survival. I was moved to hear stories of survivors undergoing treatment, not once, twice, nor trice, but amounts up to two dozen times, and sometimes with year long breaks of thinking the battle was behind them, to then find out that it is not over and that they need more treatments. Being at at the Relay, I learned not only of the strength and courage of the survivors and fighters, but also that of their families and friends who have had to take up and or shared care-giving responsibilities, and having the strength to put on a brave face to inspire hope.  
13 inch of hair donated later...

1 comment:

  1. Very different feeling in a small town than what you would get at something similar in Toronto!

    ReplyDelete