Friday, March 22, 2013

Fauna: Seal

We have another storm day today (wind warning of 100km/h), so I'm going to do another around of catch up blogging. 


Now that we are into spring, we are getting a lot of storms, so whenever the sun is out, I make it my highest priority to go out and enjoy it while it is here. 


The harbour is still frozen, but patches of ice is starting to break up. 


I was peacefully soaking in the evening sky and reflecting on nature's beauty when a black spot on the ice caught my eye.

It's a seal!

I either have a harp seal here or a harbour seal... Click here to learn more about the types of seals in Canada.

A different ice opening... a different seal? I can't tell.
I have heard about seal sighting in the Lewisporte Harbour in the spring when they come into and up on the the ice in the harbour to give birth. Ever since, I have been waiting patiently to see one. They are quite entertaining creatures. This seal I was watching periodically slipped in and out of the water and on to the ice playing. Apparently sometimes they get lost and come up onto the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment