Friday, March 15, 2013

Winter activities: Snowmobiling

If you haven't noticed, I labeled this post on snowmobile under sports. I know what you are thinking, sports do not use motorized vehicles, true. But in this culture (rural), snowmobile is considered a sport. So is dirt biking, so is motorcycling. Every time I tell people I bike, I have to specify that I "peddle" bike. :P     


I made a comment about how the snowmobiles were polluting my walk in the forest, because they emit a very strong exhaust smell. My friends find it funny that of all people, I - a city girl is complaining about exhaust. I admit, a city has a lot of exhaust, but this exhaust was smelly! One factor explaining this is probably I am use to the smell of car exhaust and no longer notice it. Another thing is, car engines and snowmobile engines have different combustion systems. Car engines only use gasoline, but some snowmobile engines, the 2 stroke engine, smaller types of engines common to chain saws and other small power tools, use a combination of oil and gasoline. It turns out, what I was smelling was the oil fumes laced with gasoline.  

Snowmobile racing across Woolfrey's Pond
Snowmobiling is an extremely popular activity here. When I ask my students what their best presents were, almost all of the boys say snowmobile (those that have them of course). I suppose, it is quite the present at a few thousand a piece. The youngest I have heard of a child receiving a snowmobile is age 10, so around grade 5 or 6. It seems a bit young for someone to handle a motorized vehicle, but then again, it is usually the older children who have gained more confidence who are more of a nuisance and danger.

Before coming out in the rural, I have heard of students driving their snowmobile to school, and how everyone wears two piece snowsuits matching their snowmobile. And indeed, what they say is true! (I've even seen an angry bird snowmobile!) Obviously, not everyone comes to school on snowmobile, only those who live with easy access to the network of trails would drive their machines.

A snowmobile actually doing work
I've noticed a lot of household with snowmobiles, not because they kids all want one, but because it is after all a vehicle and has utility. Snowmobiles are used to travel across the land. People here do not limit themselves to travel just on paved roads (which may or may not be drive-able in the winter!) Some people have winter-access only cabins which they can visit once the marsh areas and ponds have frozen over. A lot of men take advantage of the sunny winters to go out into the forest on snowmobile and hull back wood bit by bit which they have neatly chopped and stacked aside during the fall. From what I understand, fall and winter time is a good time to chop wood and bring it back home, because spring is wet and muddy, early summer is buggy, and late summer is for vacationing and berry picking.

A snowmobile trail in Gander next to the highway
The snowmobile trails in town even have signs telling you the distance and direction to hotels and gas stations.


No comments:

Post a Comment