Saturday, March 16, 2013

Winter activities: Back-country skiing and snowshoeing

Solo ski over a bog mid-February
This winter, I didn't expect get any skiing in since I decided against bringing over my skis, and since I knew I wouldn't have a car to hop over to the nearest ski trail a town away. Well I was wrong. Despite not having skis, I was quickly outfitted with some after talking to a few people (not only was I lent skis, but snowshoes too!). I have learned this year that, whenever I seek or need something, all I have to do is tell people about it, and somehow I always end up getting what I was looking for. People here in general all want to help; that's the best thing about small towns. Despite not being able to get to a properly groomed ski trail, I was still able to ski. By hanging out with some of the locals, I learned to think outside of the "groomed-trail luxury" to find my own paths and make my own trail. I learned how to back-country ski: I learned to follow the snowmobile trails; I learned to double pole across glassy ponds; I learned to ski around the edges of lakes. Having said that, I do not advise anyone to go out and make their own trail if they are not familiar with the land. I always wait until someone shows me an area once before going out on my own.

Some photos from last week-end's ski (beginning of March).

Ski buddies on Indian Arm Pond (but really, it's a lake)
See the faint plateau in the background?
That's Mount Peyton at 352m high.
Before this year, I have only gone snowshoeing once, but that was on packed and old snow, so I didn't really understand the point of wearing snowshoes. I quickly found out when I ventured out into the woods one day after a fresh snowstorm. It is significantly more challenging to walk in knee deep snow where with every step you have to pull your entire leg out before advancing to sink anew with the next step. With the help of snowshoes, I only sink around half a foot and not 3 feet saving my legs from needing to lift feet high.


No comments:

Post a Comment