Sunday, January 6, 2013

Christmas send off from Springdale

January 6th, today is the last day of old Christmas day so I figured I should squeeze in all my Christmas posts to stay with the season.

The cards my students made me.
I even got a letter completely written in French by one of my grade 6 Intensive Core French student. 

I have been so blessed meeting all the people I did in Springdale. They were welcoming, kind, and caring; always looking out for me. My biker lady friends gave me a wonderful send-off and made sure I was well stocked on all types of souvenirs from Newfoundland and Labrador.

Back from left to right: Pauline, Linda, Colleen, Kelly
Front from left to right: Golda, Phyllis, me, Heather  

Thanks to Pauline who searched hard and far,
we all received a bike ornaments to celebrate our biking passion and fellowship.  

A mysterious Santa even came to my send-off party!
On Santa's lap with my first-ever stocking. 

Colleen presented me with a photo-canvas of us all jolly the morning after
a night of good food and silliness at her cabin.   

A hand crafted Newfoundland and Labrador tote with Newfoundland tartan by Colleen. 
A hand crafted winter wall hanging by Golda.

A hand crafted Christmas card holder by Pauline

Newfoundland gifts. I am stocked up on Purity kisses and mints.
At the bottom right are a pair of blue mitts from Joy . I turned inside out to reveal the thrum.
The first time I put them on, I was like, what's this fuzzy stuff in my mitt?
It turns out that fuzzy stuff is the thrum. Thrum is a little wisp of unspun fleece or roving that may be knit into socks, hat, slippers and mitts to make the insides soft and warmer. This technique is most often associated with Newfoundland and Labrador, and early 19th centuary English rug making.
The yellow tinted fluff on my mitt is roving - unspun bundle of wool.

A lot of ornaments. There is also a snowman theme.
My favourite is the keychain puffin which my students have named
Mr. Muffin the Puffin.

I have been to the "Rock" (a.k.a. Newfoundland and Labrador) and
came home with a piece of it. This is a labradorite which is found typically in Nain, Labrador. 

If you turn the labradorite at certain angles, shiny spots will  be revealed.

More presents: A picture of Newfoundland mummers dancing with a mop, a photo of my first classes, a canvas of my biker friends and a Newfoundland dictionary for me to decipher the language next term.
The Newfie word I find the most amusing is the word for kettle.
In Newfie it is appropriate to ask someone to boil some water on the slut for a cup of tea. Teeheehee.

Being spoiled by everyone.
I am dressed up for my red & green day at school.
Muffin makes his first appearance in my photos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment