Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Curling

Lewisporte Curling Club
The last post on beer is a good transition into the post on curling, because curling isn't curling without the beer. Although I'm not sure if mixing alcohol and going on ice is such a good combination, but maybe that is why curlers wear flats instead of blades like skaters.

I didn't use to think much of curling, since in the city there were always a dozen other activities to choose from. However this winter, since I decided to refrain from bringing out my winter sporting equipment in anticipation of my flight back home where in addition to my suitcases, I have a bicycle and camping gear, I decided I would stick with doing activities that did not require me to ship home any more equipment than what I already have; hence curling. All I need is duct tape for my shoes and the brooms are provided at the arena. No equipment to ship home!  

I didn't know much about curling since I just started this winter, but can say with great enthusiasm that I enjoy it immensely as curling is a very social sport, and is quite easy to pick up for beginners. Each team is composed of four people and all the members work together to make a successful play. The "skip" who is the most experienced player, assess and calls all the play for the team, which means as a novice, I have the leisure to focus on building my technique and not have to worry too much about decoding the game right away. Eventually as I master the technique, I should be able to asses the game and manipulate my techniques for a more strategic play. Since I've determined I am no good at playing any sports involving balls, I thought I might find it challenging to throw the rock, since it is almost like a ball, but it turns out a 40 lbs rock with its flat bottom and weight travels fairly well in a straight line. Whew, no gutter ball embarrassment like with bowling. Not only is curling a cooperative game which can accommodate plays of all levels, it is also a game which promotes good camaraderie outside of the game. The rules are, after every game, the winning team will buy the losing team a round of drinks; everyone wins. :)



   

No comments:

Post a Comment