Monday, January 7, 2013

Winter greetings from Springdale

On the first day of December, I had set out to finally see the Indian River falls. That was also when we had our first snow fall in Springdale, so I was rewarded with some very picturesque scenes for my photos.


The rural red fence. 

The epitome of a Canadian winter in the rural:
evergreens covered in snow,
chopped logs,
a trophy moose head.
I had taken a photo at this exact same location earlier on in the fall. 

I stumbled across the Pentecostal cemetery.

Wolves, birds, boats, ATVs and cabins; objects of peace, passion and comfort.

A man's best friend.

The Indian River trail in the winter.

Cut logs! I find that so cute.


Looking back at Springdale. By the Riverwood Inn.



The trail had not yet been touched.

Even though I was the only person on parts of the trail that day, I never did once feel lonely. There were these really interesting and informative interpretation signs all along the trail keeping me company. These are some of the things I learned that day:

1) Moose, native to Labrador were introduced into Newfoundland island in the late 1800s as a food source for people. It was 50 years before its population was large enough for them to be hunted. Did you know that a moose would eat between 40-50 pounds of twigs and shrub a day in the winter, and 50-60 pounds of leaves and water plants during the summer. Humans consume around 5 lbs a day or 2000 calories. No wonder moose have no time to study, because they have to spend all day foraging. I suppose a moose would need to feed on 50 lbs of food, because I doubt twigs and leaves are high in calories. An average bull weighs 800-1100 lbs and a cow 600-800 lbs.

2) Did you know that the reason why rabbits and hare eat their droppings is that the wood fiber is hard to digest, so they eat them the second time to extract the nutrients not absorbed upon the first digestion.

3) The beaver will flap its tail on the water to warn others of danger. They can also hold their breaths for up to 10 minutes.

4) Red foxes are usually monogamous; they may separate during the year, but reunite for mating.

5) Goshawks have talons like little daggers. That is a bird of prey for you.



At last, I have reached the Indian River falls.




Indian River trail head in the winter.
Compare with this photo of it in the fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment